Vegetable pulao or pilaf is a rice dish mixed with vegetables and mildly flavour with spices. It goes well with raita or any curry or without any side dish.
It can be made in two ways like with or without onion, ginger and garlic. Today I am preparing without onion, ginger and garlic. For recipe with onion, ginger and garlic click on this : vegetable pulao in a pressure cooker.
Here is the recipe.
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Cooking for : 2 person
- Rice uncooked : 1 cup ( long grain)
- Chopped vegetables : 1 cup (peas, carrots, beans, cauliflower, mushrooms, spring onions etc. as per your choice)
- Cashew nut : 10 ( optional)
- Bay leaves
- Cinnamon : 2 piece
- Clove : 4
- A hand full of mint leaves (chopped)
- Vegetable oil / ghee / clarified butter : 3 tbsp.
- Cumin seed : 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/4th tsp (optional)
- Salt : 1 tbsp.
- Water : 2 cup
- First clean the rice in water and soak it for 10 minutes.
- Drain it and keep it aside.
- Chopped all the vegetables and keep them aside. Here I am using only carrot and frozen peas but one can use other vegetables like beans, cauliflower, mushrooms, spring onions etc.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a thick bottom pan and fry the cashew nuts till it become light golden in colour. Remove them from oil and keep them aside.
- In the same pan add 2 tbsp. of oil and then add bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves in it.
- When the beautiful aroma comes out add cumin seeds into it.
- Let the cumin seeds crackle and add chopped mint leaves in it.
- Saute it for few seconds and then add chopped vegetables and turmeric powder in it.
- Fry for few seconds and then add the rice in it.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes in medium flame and then add 2 cups of water in it along with fried cashew nuts.
- Season it with salt.
- Mix properly and cover the pan tightly with a lid.
- Cook in a low flame till all water absorbed.
- Check if the rice is not cooked properly then add little bit of water and cook till it completely done.
- If you are using a rice cooker after step 9 transfer all the ingredients into a rice cooker and wait till it’s done.
- Serve hot with raita or curry of your choice.