Dal or lentil is a most important staple food in Indian subcontinent. It is a nutritious food whose protein content is 3.5 times more than rice and 2.5 times more than wheat.
There are lots of varieties of recipes can be made from it. Today I am making simple dal recipe which goes well with rice, roti, paratha or naan.
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Cooking for : 2 to 3 person.
Here is the recipe..
(1 cup = 200 ml)
- Toor Dal/yellow lentil : 1 cup
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Onion : 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato : 1 small (chopped)
- Panch phoran or Cumin seed : 1 tsp
- Dry red chili : 1
- Salt to taste
- Oil : 2 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash the dal in cold water and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water in it along with tomato (chopped roughly), turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat the cooker on medium flame.
- Wait for 5 to 6 whistle and then switch of the flame.
- Once the dal is cooked, smash them with the help of a spoon and keep aside.
- In a different pan heat oil and add dry red chili in it.
- When it became black in colour add panch phoran into it.
- When it starts to crackle add chopped onion in it.
- When onion becomes golden in color add boiled dal in it.
- Mix everything well and wait for one boil and then switch of the flame.
- If the dal is too thick add little bit of hot water in it as per your requirement.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- It goes well with rice, roti/chapatti, naan.
- One can replace panch phoran with cumin seeds.
- Panch phoran is easily available in the Indian groery store.
- Adding onion is not compulsory.